Challenge: Grades 4–12
Plus: Grades 4–12
|YouTube K–3 playlist||YouTube 4–12 playlist|
SIPPS (Systematic Instruction in Phonological Awareness, Phonics, and Sight Words) is a program for new and struggling readers from kindergarten through 12th grade. SIPPS instructional materials offer a systemic approach to decoding that helps students gain reading fluency and comprehension.
For younger students, the program provides the kind of structure and systemic lessons that beginning readers need. For older students and teens, the SIPPS program uses age-appropriate reading materials that help them acquire the skills they must have to read grade-level texts and understand content-level vocabulary.
The SIPPS program also incorporates the best practices for teaching English Language Learners and provides follow-up support and professional development for teachers.
New Digital Tools and Teacher Support for 2013
The 2013 edition of the SIPPS program has new features to support your instruction, including:
- A digital Teacher’s Manual with embedded professional development
- More assessment support, including a digital assessment tool for capturing and analyzing placement and mastery tests.
- A redesigned print Teacher’s Manual with 2D barcodes to access animated routines and instructional video clips
- A digital card app to help support your classroom instruction
Find Out More
Set Up a Trial Account
Get access to all the new SIPPS digital resources with a trial account on the DSC Learning Hub. Explore SIPPS online resources for 90 days simply by creating a new account. Visit teach.devstu.org to try out the new assessment tools, card deck, and view the SIPPS dashboard that helps you manage students, groups, and card decks.
We Have the Common Core Covered
SIPPS learning tools meet and exceed the Common Core State Standards. The Standards expect students to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds
- Know and apply grade-level phonics and word-analysis skills in decoding words
- Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension
- Become proficient readers with the capacity to comprehend texts across a range of types and disciplines
SIPPS instruction invites students to:
- Engage with books at appropriate levels to build fluency and increase confidence
- Respond orally and receive immediate strategic feedback
- Monitor and reflect on their growth across increasingly complex texts
- Read leveled stories to practice the words and concepts they’ve been taught
- Read widely and deeply across genres and disciplines
ORDER SIPPS FOR YOUR SCHOOL OR DISTRICT