MetLife Foundation Initiative
With generous support from the MetLife Foundation, DSC has the opportunity to enhance the work of professional learning communities through the lesson study professional development model. Twelve to fifteen districts will be selected to participate in this national initiative.
Support for 12-15 Selected Districts
Grant funding covers professional development costs for this initiative. Professional development provided at no charge for these districts will include:
- A two-day in-person introductory workshop for lesson study facilitators
- Other on-line resources, such as implementation videos and cross-district discussion forums, so that facilitators and teachers can share their learning and ask questions
- For two district leaders from each of the 12-15 participating districts, DSC and MetLife will host a face-to-face meeting/lesson study conference to share learning and provide additional leadership support
- DSC staff will also be available by e-mail and telephone to answer questions and provide additional support. In this way we can pilot the on-line strategy, refine it, and implement it more widely in subsequent years as we continue to scale up dissemination.
Enhanced Support Opportunity for 2-3 Districts
- A two-day introductory workshop for facilitators
- Three multi-day return visits to observe lesson study activities and provide further professional development and coaching to facilitators
- Access to the online resources and meetings outlined above
- Select district lesson study facilitators
- Ensure each facilitator has a school-based lesson study team to work with during the school year
- Purchase a Lesson Study Facilitator’s Kit for each facilitator
- Purchase a Lesson Study Teacher’s Kit for each participating teacher