Schoolwide implementation of CSC is important because the program builds connections beyond the classroom. Having a common language and approach gives staff members a structure for discussing issues that arise.
- All four components of CSC are designed to be introduced over the course of one year.
- Some schools may decide to introduce the components more gradually.
- Teachers report that implementing CSC actually saves time in the classroom.
- Outcome data from two federally funded evaluations prove that creating a strong sense of community not only increases students’ connectedness to school and improves students’ behavior, but also their academic performance.
- Professional development can help with implementation, especially when CSC represents a departure from current school practices.
Learn about how your district can receive free professional development through the Caring School Community Initiative.